Monday, August 9, 2010

Pour it on!

This last week has been fabulous. Not only the highest grossing week in FOREVER, but also everyone's been in a rockin' mood. Something about the super-positive newspaper column Thursday night put us all in The Zone. Helka's been e-mailing a few more papers. Aaron's been churning out the paperwork. And me? Well, my Beehouse pourover filtercones finally came in so you KNOW what I've been doing. Testing and tasting like crazy! My goal is to create a method for the beehouse that creates a strong, but not bitter, cup of coffee. Poles are looking for the strength in their cup when they order coffee, but the average Joę puts quite a bit of cream and sugar. I chose the Beehouse because they could offer some barista control, while ensuring a minimum 2-minute brew (which we are definately going to need if we aim to please). The hardest part is the crema. Poles are very concerned with this little detail in their cup. After all, when they order "black coffee" in a coffeeshop, they are expecting a café lungo (go on, i had to look up a recipe too). This wouldn't be a problem, except for the crema. The pressure of the espresso brewing forces the crema into the cup. At the same time, a high-quality pourover has foam in the filtercone during brewing, but that is not forced into the cup. Thus, Poles have been told that crema is the key to spotting a great cup of coffee (and they are right when it comes to the lungo). If I'm going to create something Poles love, I need to speak a lot more Polish! Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment